This was a fairly high risk and high impact project because it was the third most trafficked resource at the college and Bellevue College is the 3rd largest higher education institution in the state of Washington.
Because of the confusion we learned through user research and stakeholder interviews, we combined class schedule listings with course descriptions (commonly published separately in college publications) and turned into the ‘classes’ section of the global Bellevue College site.
The vision of this project was simple: to make it easy for students to find the classes they need. We also wanted to make this project be the best tool for finding classes in the entire state of Washington.
What I did
- Led one of two kick-off design studio sessions (We had so many stakeholders, that we to broke it up into two sessions)
- Planned and conducted some of the user studies during the process
- Designed the wireframes and final design of the project
- Served as the product owner: lead the vision of the project, point person with all college stakeholders, prioritized the backlog and the voice of the project
- Conducted comparative analysis of similar tools at other institutions
- Reviewed feedback provided from the website
- Design methods: customer interviews, guerrilla user studies, defining audience, competitive analysis, value/complexity matrix, story mapping, sketching, white boarding, wireframes, surveys, proof of concept (done by somebody else), roadmap
- Design tools: Fireworks, Illustrator, paper/pen/whiteboards, Google Analytics
- Dev tools: Visual Studio, TFS, Firebug
- Semantically accurate, accessible
- This project was developed using MVC in Visual Studio. We had some smart engineers working on this project
- A technical goal of this project was to make it shareable across all Technical and Community Colleges in the state. An API was developed to assist this and to allow department websites to consume some of this data
- Most of the concessions between design and development had to do with performance. This project marked a turning point for our engineers to learn about performance-lite ways to query large amounts of data. In a sense, it was the turning point of design and user experience: lead the technology rather than the other way around
Other ‘Wins’ of this project
This is one of my proudest projects. It flipped the application development process on it’s head, with planning and design thinking at the beginning along with designers and software engineers brainstorming and troubleshooting together.